Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Digital Citizenship


1. Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens. Being a good digital citizen is an important skill to learn to survive our digital world. I would want to make my students are aware of the things they post on their social networks. What you post on these websites will be out there FOREVER. Along with this I feel very strongly about anti-bullying on these websites too. No one should be made fun of in person, and online it could even be worse with constant notifications, post, text messages that can be sent from social media. The last thing I want to make sure my students know is that just because it is out on the internet DOES NOT mean that it is true. Anyone can post anything to the internet. My students need to make sure they are using credible sources when finding information. Then when they find credible sources they need to give credit to what they take, so they are not stealing someone else's work.

2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
The Cool Cat teacher blog is some that I would and could use to instructionally. Not only do I like the digital citizenship blog I like the whole blog website itself. I think I could use this in other areas of my teaching as well.


3. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
Before we went to do our first research project I could teach the idea of digital citizenship. I am thinking of have students make a project, and have other students take credit for the hard work they did. This would have students understand that when you do site or credit your sources you are stealing other peoples research, thoughts, and ideas. Also, maybe an example of not believing everything you read on the internet. Then go into a discussion on how to look for credible sources on the internet. There are many other aspects of digital citizenship that I would like to cover (safety and bullying) but that does not necessarily relate to the lesson at hand.


4. Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents. I would direct the parents to the Cool Cat Teacher blog and to the YouTube video about digital citizenship. I would give the parents many resources to show them about digital citizenship and let the parents know we would need to work together to inform students about how to conduct themselves out there on the world wide web.





No comments:

Post a Comment